Healing in Brokenness

I LOVE Jesus so much. Seriously, I’ve dedicated my life to loving Him back. I try to make everything that I do be an expression of love to Him. (I actually fail at that on numerous occasions.) Every time I have the opportunity to sing about Him or lead in musical praise, I simply cannot express how much I love Him. I get excited, tearfully joyful, simply overwhelmed by the fact that He loves me. I reflect on His love towards me and I am so blown away that I have a smile that just won’t go away.

And then conviction comes. It’s a strange stirring when you realize that you are completely lost without Him and you royally mess up every day, yet you know that the very reason you feel that conviction is because He loves you enough to pull you back towards Him. I mean, good parents are a seemingly appropriate reflection of this relationship, but in their humanity, they sometimes take a little bit more time to forgive. With God, it’s like there’s punishment or direct discipline and then instantaneous forgiveness and love out poured. There’s not a waiting period to see if grace is going to follow. It just does!

I regret to say that I take that for granted so many times. Too many times, I live on last week’s sermon, making excuses for the reason I can’t spend time with Him. I take a second to look at a verse on my phone while walking into work. I say a lengthy prayer over a meal and cover all my “prayer bases”. I listen to worship music while driving and think that’s enough. I don’t know why because honestly I know what it’s like to be completely refreshed by His Word and to fall more and more in love with Him after even just a short 20 minutes with Him.  Before I know it I’ve gone way too long without hearing from Him and I’ve disappointed Him because I’m not really working on the relationship as much as He is.

Sure, in times of heartbreak, I cry out to Him and ask Him to heal. And you know what… most of the time, He does. He reminds me of His favor, grace, and love that has carried me through a life that I completely did not expect to live. I’m far more blessed than I deserve to be.

Today, after going through a few “dry days” of quiet time, I got back into it and read an excerpt from Jesus Calling. Here’s an excerpt:

               “I AM a God who heals. I heal broken bodies, broken minds, broken hearts, broken lives, and broken relationships.”[1]

Ahem… Side note… I need healing in… um… ALL of those areas! Just me? Yea. Didn’t think so.
              
“My very Presence has immense healing powers. You cannot live close to Me without experiencing some degree of healing. […] The first step in receiving healing is to live ever so close to Me. […] As you grow more and more intimate with Me, I reveal My will to you more directly. When the time is right, I prompt you to ask for healing of some brokenness in you OR in another person. The healing may be instantaneous, or it may be a process.”[2]

There is a situation that I have been praying about for about a year now. The details are not as important, so much as the general fact that there has been a particular person and a particular situation that I have been bringing before the Lord almost every day for a year now.

I’ve read “The Circle Maker” and I’ve studied prayer throughout the year. I understand that sometimes you do just have to keep praying the same thing over and over again. I understand that prayer is sometimes hard and you have to pray through, praise God for the outcome (even before you know what that outcome is), and pray expectantly. I’ve been praying… the same thing… for a year, and I’ve begun to think that the prayer isn’t going to change. I was content to pray the same few sentences, not out of wrote or redundancy, but just because I haven’t known what else to say.

That was until today.

The Lord knows my heart so infinitely well that He knows how much of an analytical person that I am. He knows that I’ve looked at this circumstance through every lens that I can possibly imagine and then some. But perhaps the resolution hasn’t occurred because I’ve spent too long praying for the wrong thing. I’ve been praying for heart change, and what I need to be praying for is healing for whatever brokenness that person is facing. Whatever past hurt or pain they’ve experienced. For the relationship that failed. For the health that just isn’t cooperating. I need to be lifting up the brokenness in their spiritual life and praying for restoration.

You know why I didn’t think about praying that stuff. Cause it doesn’t involve me. It’s not centered around my proximity to the circumstance or situation. It’s just praying for the well-being of the person(s) involved. So many times I feel like my prayers for someone are almost like tattle-telling to God. “Lord, [insert name here] is not walking with You. Fix it, please.” Sound familiar?

Are you praying for the well-being of others? Not just the ones who need a physical touch of healing, or even the “extreme” cases of addiction or disorders, but for the healing of the mind (Romans 12:2) and heart (Psalm 51:17).

We’re all broken in some way, be it in a major way, or the fact that we still have problems with this daily quiet time thing. Just think about this… If we all took the approach of praying for the brokenness in each other, what healing could take place in the lives of those around us?



[1] Young, Sarah. Jesus Calling: Enjoying Peace in His Presence : Devotions for Every Day of the Year. Nashville: Integrity, 2004. Print.
[2] Ibid.

Comments

Popular Posts