Autumn Leaves

I absolutely love fall. The leaves are so very beautiful, and I can't help but just gawk at the colors. I'm amazed that God designed the trees to shed their leaves, yet makes sure that right before they fall off, His glory and magnificence is displayed. Who ever thought that the process of death could be so beautiful?

But isn't that how it is with us?

A seed is planted when we hear the Gospel. The seed takes root and causes us to grow taller and taller. But it has been said that as soon as we are born, we are on a slow process towards death. I know it sounds morbid, but shouldn't we live our lives in such a way that even the moments right before our death show still more splendor and glory of God? It's as if we should be progressing towards an more glorious picture of the majesty of God all the way until death.

In 2 Timothy 4:6, Paul says, For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come.” In the Old Testament, a drink offering was supposed to be a sacrifice made out of joy. A wise woman (my mom) recently told me that our entire lives should be a drink offering; a willing surrender of our lives out of JOY – joy because of who He is, and joy because of what He does!

So how does this relate to the changing leaves? Well in Luke 19:39-40, the Pharisees, trying to silence Jesus’ message, tells Him to quiet his disciples. But Jesus turns to them and says, “I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out.” All the earth is praising God and proclaiming His glory through natural revelation, right? So I guess it’s almost like the leaves are giving their last bit of energy out of joy so much so that they change colors to form the most magnificent picture of His beauty! Did you realize that when Paul wrote those words in 2 Timothy 4:6, he was months away from his imminent execution? He knew it was coming, yet he was joyfully awaiting his departure from this earth to be with God!

I know it may seem as though death is far off. Or perhaps it’s closer than you would hope. But I beg of you, and of myself to live this life joyfully serving Him, striving to paint an exceedingly beautiful picture of all his splendor all the way until our last few moments on this earth!

Comments

Popular Posts