Grace Bank

So I'm out in Plano, TX doing an internship in the Women's Ministry at a large church called Prestonwood Baptist Church. As graduation got closer, and the reality of the working world came into full view, I wasn't exactly sure how God was going to open the door. But sure enough, He did, and now I'm serving under two women that constantly challenge and encourage me, just by the way they live their lives. They believe in me and push me to be creative and do things I don't feel capable to do. I've definitely had to rely on the Lord's strength and wisdom, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. These ladies also have a desire to see me grow and learn more and more about ministry AND myself. So... project one... Read "One in a Million" by Priscilla Shirer. I started tonight, and the thoughts that follow are some that just came to mind.

Shirer says in the first chapter:

"Our God is indeed a God of abundance. Whenever you happen to travel in the Bible, you're never too far away from some mention of his fondness for going above and beyond."

She then lists several Scriptures that speak of God's abundant supply, His abundant love, and His abundant grace. The following verse was included.
______________________________________

In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace, which He lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight making known to us the mystery of His will, according to His purpose, which He set forth in Christ as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth. -- Ephesians 1:7-10
_____________________________________

Redemption. That's the sum of this chunk of verses in one word. But, even though Paul has been describing the overwhelming importance of redemption, he decides to add a few words that describe the intricacy and beauty of it as well.

I like to think I'm a woman that is good with words. My writing often gets repetitive and that's when a good thesaurus quickly becomes my dear friend. As I sit to write whatever thoughts God is laying on my heart, I look for the best "zinger" words that will drive the point deep into one's soul. When a good word like "lavished" comes along, I get really excited. The beauty of words is that there are hundreds and thousands of different ones that can all mean the same thing. Some of them pop, some of them roll of the tongue, and some... well... some fall flat. But "lavished" definitely not one of those flat ones.

Paul speaks of the tremendous sacrifice that Jesus Christ gave in order for us to be purchased from slavery to sin, into freedom with God. He describes the grace of God as if it were made of fine jewels, coins, and precious valuables that are only given to the select few. But God's "grace bank" isn't stingy... No Paul describes His extravagant love by saying that God "lavishes" His grace on us.

Let's just say that living in Texas has definitely opened my eyes to what "lavish" could really mean. I've been exploring a bit, and although I would love to go crazy at some of these high priced boutiques, my recent college-graduate checkbook would argue otherwise. But I'm also reminded of the type of "lavishing" that comes from a sweet woman who wants to make sure you don't starve, so she cooks enough food to last you for three weeks in one meal. Or, "lavishing" love and prayer on a family they've never met before. Whatever situation you're in, I'm sure you can relate to what the word "lavishing" could mean.

And God smothers us with His grace. In fact, He gives us so much grace that not only are we saved from condemnation, but rather we are given the knowledge that God will eventually work all things together for good and will set the world right as it was when He first created it. We are given hope. We're given the ability to see past our momentary troubles, and look forward to what is coming.

And you or I don't deserve to know. Only because God chooses to heap His grace upon our lives does that give us the opportunity to know His hope. Unfortunately, sometimes I don't believe that I'm humbled enough to truly grasp how unworthy I am, and yet how much God's grace is not only sufficient to save my from my sin, but to carry me through the difficult days and tough circumstances.

I know if I were God, I'd surely keep that kind of promise away from individuals that I know could and would turn their back on me. I would punish the ones who really hurt me, just so they could know how much I hurt. I definitely wouldn't give them hope to know that everything is going to be alright, and I would probably deny any bit of grace I had, much less give an overabundance.

But that's why He's God and not me. He does pour out His grace in ways that are unimaginable. We're blessed, fortunate, and given more grace than we ever deserved.

What a wonderful God. What a wonderful, graceful God. What a truly wonderful, graceful God.

_____________
Shirer, Priscilla ."One in a Million." Nashville: Broadman and Holman Publishing, 2010.

Comments

Popular Posts