God is still God

“Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” – Philippians 4:4-7

Okay… It’s time for vulnerability… What situations do you feel hopeless in?

Here’s the deal. I fight with being patient because I know that my flesh doubts that God really is working on my behalf, causing all things to work together for my good both on this side of heaven and the other (Rom. 8:28). I know that I’m guilty of applauding myself at being “patient”, and “waiting on the Lord”. [Not all the time… For instance, I know there are times when I have indeed waited on the Lord’s direction (case and point… my job in TX.)] However, I know there are times when the ugly truth of my thirst for control decides to make its entrance.

It’s hideous when I attempt to manipulate situations to work in my favor. Disgusting when I write out long prayers to God that actually end up sounding more like “to do” lists for whenever God has the time. Horrific that I’m convinced that the Master of the dance isn’t capable of leading me in a glorious and beautiful dance. How ugly it is when I take matters into my own hands and usually just end up disappointed, hopeless and disgusted at myself.

I remember a few years ago, when life had somewhat taken a dramatic shift. My life had by no means “fallen apart”, but I knew the pain of disappointment and struggle. I remember the long coffee talks I had with friends, where I would confidently proclaim…

God is still God.

It became my mantra…. My declaration! It was a testament of the absolute dependence and trust in the God I believed to be true. I had seen Him deliver my mother from cancer. I had experienced His provision for me by providing a large unexpected scholarship from a company that in no way professes to hold to Christian standards. He had given me wonderful opportunities to meet the right people at the right times to do things beyond what I ever imagined for myself. I had witnessed Him working behind the scenes for me. And He still is.

For some reason I struggle with recalling that phrase so often. But can I share a few things God’s been reminded of lately??

Be willing to go out on a limb with Me. If that is where I am leading you, it is the safest place to be. […] In order to follow Me wholeheartedly, you must relinquish your tendency to play it safe.” (Dec. 9 – Jesus Calling)

“Make Me the focal point of your search for security. In your private thoughts, you are still trying to order your world so that it is predictable and feels safe. […] When your private world feels unsteady and you grip My hand for support, you are living in conscious dependence on Me.” (Dec. 10 – Jesus Calling)

I am working on your behalf. Bring Me all your concerns, including your dreams. Talk with Me about everything, letting the light of My Presence shine on your hopes and plans. Spend time allowing My Light to infuse your dreams with life, gradually transforming them into a reality.” (Dec. 11 – Jesus Calling)

I am taking care of You! Feel the warmth and security of being enveloped in My loving Presence. Every detail of your life is under My control.” (Dec. 12 – Jesus Calling)

“As you focus your mind and heart on Me, […] you open yourself up to receive the many blessings that I have prepared for you.” (Dec. 13 – Jesus Calling)

“Rest in Me, My child, forgetting about the worries of the world. […] Tune in to My eternal security, for I am the same yesterday, today and forever. […] Hold My hand in deliberate dependence on Me, and I will smooth out the path before you.” (Dec. 14 – Jesus Calling)

Funny how it took 6 days for me to remember that phrase….

God is still God.


Do you believe it???

Comments

Popular Posts