Social Butterfly



I thrive off of social interaction. I am a social creature. Knowing I am created for relationship, I crave them. My friends become family, especially considering that my biological family is approximately 1000 miles away. Perhaps it’s because my family is very close, so I never grew up lonely. I have a brother that I played with growing up. People have always been around. We were always involved in church things, and I was very active in things at school. My life was a constant, on-the-go, social atmosphere. I think that’s why I began to love people so much. And for the skeptics who say that I was too busy, my relationship with Christ didn’t suffer, and my relationship with my friends and family was great. I wasn’t burned out because I knew I was doing what God had called me to, and He gave me the strength to do so.  

My love language is physical touch, but I just took the test again to see what may have changed. Well, it was no surprise that I come in just one point under “physical touch” with “quality time”. Part of the description for “physical touch” is that physical presence and accessibility are crucial, while neglect or abuse can be unforgivable and destructive. And I don’t think that “quality time” needs much to be explained.

Now let me say this – I am usually pretty good about letting things people say about me or think about me roll off my back (expect when my character or integrity is in jeopardy). I take comments and criticisms well and don’t fall apart when people intentionally try to hurt my feelings. But, one thing that I do get my feelings hurt about is when I’m forgotten, left out, or not included.

Loving people is not a bad thing. They say “ministry is people” and that’s not far from the truth. If I don’t love the people that I spend countless hours serving and trying to meet their needs, then I don’t belong in ministry. I believe the Lord has placed a sincere love for people within me so that I realize why He’s called me to a ministry that may not always be the easiest to handle.

People don’t always love you back though. Sometimes it’s completely unintentional. In fact, MOST times it’s unintentional. But, I believe the Lord has been using solitude to teach me a lot lately. Those times when I’ve waited by the phone for someone to call, text, message via carrier pigeon, smoke signal or visit me, well, it reminds me of how the Lord must feel when I neglect my time with Him. Those times when I feel forgotten, I think it’s a glimpse into the ache the Lord has for my time with Him. The times I feel left out – that’s the way God feels when I make decisions and attempt to control my life without Him.

Do NOT get me wrong. Our God does not NEED me to spend time with Him. He’s the Lord of the Universe… He’s got angels in heaven who “spend time” with Him. In fact, it is a privilege and an HONOR for us to talk to Him and commune with Him in such an intimate way. Just think back to the days of the Tabernacle when people had to go through a Priest! We get VIP access any time we want because of the death of His only Son! He’s the King of the Universe and He wants an audience with me and you.

So, yes… my need for social interaction can be crippling distracting, and even sinful. I get that. People aren’t the ones I need to please or live my life for. So I’m thankful that the Lord is always there, when people fail me. Those times when I’m discouraged, hurt, or feeling lonely are the same times I know I can depend on the Lord. Those are the times when I’m not being overbearing or annoying because He wants to spend time with me just as much, and honestly probably more than I do!

Psalm 34:17-20
The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles. The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. The righteous person may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all; he protects all his bones, not one of them will be broken.

Comments

Popular Posts